Re: Success/Failure stories about Cognos/BusinessObjects/Oracle's Discoverer

From: Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1997/04/09

Sean Kubovcik wrote:

> I am piloting a data mart on an Oracle 7.3 server and I am inquiring
> about experiences (good or bad) with any of the following products:
> Cognos Power Play
> Business Objects 4.0
> Oracle's Discoverer
> If there are any other OLAP tools that I should be evaluating please
> let me know. I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
> Sean

I did something in Cognos. Typical OLAP tools. It provide a standard drill-up/down interface for pre-defined models. It is very presentive and very user-friendly. Good for DSS. There are some limitations :

  1. Quite standard Interface, not much customization, so make sure user like that.
  2. Still 16 bit application. Performance not very good.
  3. Quite frequent General Protection Fault.
  4. Message not user-friendly enough. Sometimes error box without message.

Actually, the first point is most critical, make sure do some piloting.

Regards,
Michael Received on Wed Apr 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT