Re: Performance problem on HP 9000/800E35

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/04/08

In article <334A114D.24518914_at_zew.de>,
Robert Braeutigam <braeutigam_at_zew.de> wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>We are running an Oracle V7.2.2.3.0 on a HP 9000 800E35. The HP-Box is
>running under HP-UX 9.04 (currently unpatched), has 128 MBytes of RAM
>and a C2430 10/8 GB Disk Array configured as RAID 5.
>
>The Problem is this Machine is too slow. We have a test database setup
>running on a 133 MHz Pentium under NT where a test script we have needs
>only 27 Minutes to run. The HP needs almost 40 Minutes...
>
>Can anyone give me a hint on this ? *Is* the HP box too slow ? Will it
>be faster after upgrading to HP-UX 10.X ? What can we do ?

About you comparison, do both systems have the same amount of memory, and are they running the same type of RAID? Memory can be crucial to performance and RAID 5 is notoriously bad on small block writes.

In general go through the Oracle tunning guide. It will walk you through checking and tunning the system as well as Oracle. You don't mention the NT config but under UNIX 128 MB of RAM seems thin to me. Also since you are running 9.04 I would assume that you have an older CPU, you might look into upgrading it as well.

>I know that no one can tell me "Well, set this parameter to that value"
>from this very raw description, but maybe someone can give me a
>direction where to analyze first...
>
>Please help me, I dont want to have a NT System here... !
>
> Robert

Hope this helps

mjr Received on Tue Apr 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT