Re: locking Oracle SGA into RS/6000 memory

From: Heggelund <d92hegge_at_ix_prod.hfk.mil.no>
Date: 1997/04/08

Lance Tost (ltost_at_systemautomation.com) wrote:
: We're just getting underway with Oracle 7.3 server under AIX 3.2.5
: (probably soon to be 4.1) on an RS/6000. Can someone tell me (or point me
: to documentation which will tell me) how to lock the SGA into real memory?
: I've looked in the 7.3 Administrators Reference for AIX as well as the
: tuning tips manual-- can't find any mention of it.

: email ltost_at_systemautomation.com with any info.
: Thanks.

: http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

--
Hi,

you have the init.ora parameter sga_memory_lock. I have not tested it but
the descripton for it says 'lock sga in memory for benchmarking'. It has
no underscore in front of it so Oracle Support should be able to give you
some details regarding the usefullness (or not) of this parameter.
I an running 7.3.2.3 on SINIX 5.42 (Siemens Nixdorf).

If paging of your SGA is a problem you probably would be better off by
tuning your memory configuration (ie add memory) or reducing the SGA size,
instead of trying to lock it in real memory.

Rgds
Steinar Heggelund

I'm employed in the Norwegian consulting company Opus One AS.
I have 7 years experience with Oracle products, mainly the database.
We are a small company which offers consulting services in design,
implementation and tuning of databases and applications based on Oracle.

My postings represent my opinions and they may be wrong.