Re: Locking in Oracle-Urgent

From: Ian Gillman <igillman_at_arinc.com>
Date: 1997/04/08

In article <334602A5.1CF5_at_mindlink.bc.ca>, david_ng_at_mindlink.bc.ca says...

>freas.art_at_ist.mds.lmco.com wrote:
>>
>> Question: Does oracle lock the entire table when you execute a commit
>> We are wondering if we need to write a messaging layer in order to
>> eliminate problems we may encounter if the table locks when we do the
 commit.
>> Any help appreciated. Thanks much.
>> ART
>
>I do not think so. Could you tell us the details of the SQL statement
>and how you issue the commit statement.
>
>David Ng

Oracle uses row-level locking which means that unless you update every row of the table the whole table should not be locked. The commit statement will release any row locks put in place by the sql statements submitted during the same session as the one which issued the commit. Oracle even handles deadlocks for you (it rolls back both sessions). I have never been in a situation where I have had to worry about locks on table or rows (except trying to resolve a deadlock between two bits of code).
TTFN
Ian
igillman_at_arinc.com Received on Tue Apr 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT