Re: locking Oracle SGA into RS/6000 memory

From: Robert Miller <rwmiller_at_gte.net>
Date: 1997/04/07

Lance Tost wrote:

> We're just getting underway with Oracle 7.3 server under AIX 3.2.5
> (probably soon to be 4.1) on an RS/6000. Can someone tell me (or point me
> to documentation which will tell me) how to lock the SGA into real memory?
> I've looked in the 7.3 Administrators Reference for AIX as well as the
> tuning tips manual-- can't find any mention of it.
>
> email ltost_at_systemautomation.com with any info.
> Thanks.

It's not supported by IBM even in 4.1.x. I was trying this on my first AIX and SP2 install, and when I finally found someone in IBM's tech support group that knew what I was talking about, bottom line, there was no control over segment size and paging. I could not create on segment large enough for the SGA and pin it to memory.

The good news, is that this really does not affect performance as much as many people are led to believe. Received on Mon Apr 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT