Oracle Dirty Read Question

From: Vish magapu <magapuv_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/04/07

According to Oracle manuals (for Ver 7.1) Oracle Never does a "dirty read". That means (as I understand) if somebody wites the data but has not committed, others users will not be able to see it. But suppose I executed the following sequence of statements: login as scott/tiger
create table test (col1 varchar2(1));
-- Grant select to someuser on test

insert into test vlaues('X');
-- But I do not commit;

login as someuser;
select * from test;
-- I get one row which is 'X'

If Oracle does not do dirty reads how this is possible. Am I mis-understanding the concept.
Please help.

Thanks,
Vish

Name: Vish Magapu
E-mail: Vish Magapu <magapu_at_monet.fujitsu.com> Date: 04/07/97
Time: 15:44:24