Re: SQL*Plus: How to disable Unix shell?

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_comsense.com>
Date: 1997/04/07

Peter Luckock wrote:

> Help!
>
> Is there any secure way to prevent users from opening a command-line shell
> from within Unix-hosted SQL*Plus (as shipped with Oracle 7.2.2 for Unix
> System V release 4.0 running on SUN/Sparc).

Yes. This is where the Product User Profile comes in. Run $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/pupbld.sql. Then consult the Oracle manuals (SQL*Plus I think) on how to disable/enable things. One of the features is to disable the o/s exit to shell. I've done this before and it works well. Otherwise give Support a call and they should be able to give you instructions.

> I'm a business user who needs to debug & maintain some monolithic 3rd-party
> PL/SQL code which is so big (145k) that it can't be loaded in the Windows-
> hosted version of SQL*Plus (error: "command buffer space exhausted").

Well, 7.3 for Windows overcomes this a restriction.

HTH,
Leng.

--
Leng Kaing - leng_at_comsense.com