Re: SQL*Plus: How to disable Unix shell?

From: <ianp_at_not.valid>
Date: 1997/04/06

Peter Luckock (luckock_at_enternet.com.au) wrote:
: Is there any secure way to prevent users from opening a command-line shell
: from within Unix-hosted SQL*Plus (as shipped with Oracle 7.2.2 for Unix
: System V release 4.0 running on SUN/Sparc).

Not knowing the requirements of your app, I will offer the following :

Use the restricted shell - /usr/lib/rsh under solaris 2.5.1 (limit $PATH) Use chroot to somewhere mundane
Disable the ! and any other host commands within Oracle, setting them at   perhaps the global level. FYI these are variables that can be set as part    of the SQL*Plus configuration.

: I'm a business user who needs to debug & maintain some monolithic 3rd-party
: PL/SQL code which is so big (145k) that it can't be loaded in the Windows-
: hosted version of SQL*Plus (error: "command buffer space exhausted").

Assuming Oracle PL/SQL, PL/SQL = Stored Procedures ??

IAP In an attempt to reduce the junk mail count I set a bogus From line. My correct email address is 'ianp_at_hooked.net' Received on Sun Apr 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST