Re: Recommended datafile sizes.

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/04/05

Most prior responses seem to favor smaller file sizes.

There is a cost overhead to every file added to an Oracle instance. Every time a checkpoint is taken the header block of every file must be updated.  You can add the checkpoint process to your init.ora to help this.

Most databases are created with a limit to the number of files that can be attached to the database. I would bet that most newer DBA's use the default ( I think it is 100) which could create a problem for your system, at least until you rebuild your control files.

The maximum extent size for a large table or index is limited to the largest file size minus two Oracle database blocks attached to the tablespace. When you get tables in the gigabyte plus range then larger extents become fairly desirable.

Personally I like for all the application tablespace files used in a database to be created using the same size parameters.

Just thoughts.
Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Sat Apr 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CST