Re: Is Unix security really so weak?

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/04/04

Andrew Gierth <andrew_at_erlenstar.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Perhaps you (or someone from the Oracle group) could provide some actual
>information rather that unsupported statements?

In general, Oracle I/O is implemented on each platform in such a way that completion of a write (as viewed by the software) means the data has been fully recorded on the external medium. In some environments there are mechanisms which seem to work (NFS-mounted files, for example) but which are expressly not supported by Oracle because they do not meet this requirement. The platform-specific documentation is responsible for indicating what is or isn't supported.

I'm not aware of any systems where Oracle is capable of using the normal "cooked" I/O facilities with real, local disks but it fails to meet the above requirement. But perhaps the earlier poster can point one out...I'm no UNIX authority.

/b

--
Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not