Re: ER/Win vs Designer/2000 - Which is better?

From: David Ng <david_ng_at_mindlink.bc.ca>
Date: 1997/04/04

Nathan Secrist wrote:

> Database Designers/DBAs:
>
> We are in the process of evaluating ER/Win and Designer/2000 for
> our Case Tool/Data Modeling Tool.
>
> We will be using the software for the following tasks:
>
> Entity-Relationship Diagrams
> Logical Modeling
> Physical Modeling
> Maintaining a Data Repository
> Automatically generate Oracle DDL from the Repository
> Reverse Re-Engineer Oracle Tables back into the repository
>
> If anyone can give me some feedback on whether or not you have
> used 1 or both of these tools.
>
> Let me know your experience (good or bad) with each of these tools.
>
> If there is other software we should look at please let me know this
> as well.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Nathan
>
> Nathan G. Secrist
> Evolving Systems Inc.
> nsecrist_at_evolving.com

I was a System Architect. Being a database designer, I prefer ER/Win a lot for it easy of use and bi-directional synchronization between database schema and the repository. On the other hand, I like Desginer 2000 for covering the whole cycle of the development, analysis, desginer, development etc..

If you are database designer and working on a small project, ER/Win should be you choice. If you are project manager or working on a large application development, Desginer 2000 should be your choice.

David Ng Received on Fri Apr 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST