Re: Sum of Details on Master

From: Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1997/04/04

Nico Vandenbroucke wrote:

> Any1 who knows how to handle this problem?
>
> The database holds two tables ('INVOICE' (master) and 'INVOICELINE' (detail)).
> Every Invoice line has an amount.
>
> We would like to keep the total amount of the invoice lines in the Invoice
> table.

Doing this is not difficult. But the same old question is why you need to do this ?
'Cause it may cause some problem you may not expected, like dead lock or on-line performance degradation. You can consider other design options like summary views or separate summary queries.
These could be more controllable and more economic too.

eg. You can try a non-based-table item in Master Block and do a summary on POST_QUERY

In design point of view, table definition should be your last area to touch for screen design. Received on Fri Apr 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST