Re: Bugs in Oracle 7.3.2

From: Heggelund <d92hegge_at_ix_prod.hfk.mil.no>
Date: 1997/04/03

Hi,

Oracle 7.3.2.3 IS ready for Solaris (and several other Unix ports). I'm running Oracle 7.3.2.3 on Siemens Nixdorf computers which is way down the porting list. I know other projects who are running this version on Solaris. It fixes quite a few bugs in the optimizer, most of them concerning 'AND_EQUAL' access paths. You should upgrade to this version as soon as possible.

If you cannot upgrade but you are in a position to change the SQL-code try avoiding AND_EQUAL access paths.

Rgds
Steinar Heggelund

Stephen A. Rodgers (trodgers_at_mindspring.com) wrote:
: We've encountered some rather nasty optimizer bugs in Oracle 7.3.2 on
: Solaris. One of the bugs causes Oracle to core dump with either a
: SIGBUS error or a SIGSEGV error, neither of which is true. Then, as a
: result of the bug, the SGA becomes corrupt and we sometimes even lose
: indexes. I've applied a patch which helps somewhat, but yesterday I
: still got the abend. We are considering dropping back to 7.2 before we
: go to production. There appear to be far too many bugs related to
: Oracle's cost optimizer for us to continue, and 7.3.2.3 is not ready for
: Solaris yet.

: Has anyone else encountered bugs with the 7.3.2 releases? I'm just
: curious.

: Thanks,
: Tony Rodgers
: Prominence Consulting, Inc.

I'm employed in the Norwegian consulting company Opus One AS.
I have 7 years experience with Oracle products, mainly the database.
We are a small company which offers consulting services in design,
implementation and tuning of databases and applications based on Oracle.