Re: 7.1.6 Optimizer bug?

From: Fernando Pereira <morgan_at_cardume.com>
Date: 1997/04/03

Michael Karafotis <mkarafot_at_bbnplanet.com> wrote in article <33428A1A.7F7E_at_bbnplanet.com>...
> Can someone please fill me in?
>
> It has been a while since I've worked on a 7.1.6 database and find
> myself doing it again. I seem to remember running into a bug that had
> to do with running the optimizer in CHOOSE mode, or in other words
> running it in anything but RULE only caused problems.

My opinion is that prior to 7.3, you should only use RULE. For example, there is a bug in some 7.2 versions that, if you have statistics on a table, you can't use that table to implement foreign keys.

If you want to compare the different paths on both optimizers, you should get a demo of our product, TunaSQL, where you can create several versions of a SQL command and compare them easily. TunaSQL is implemented in C++ and we created a SQL Version class, so your Tuna document can have n versions on it (including versions in different databases).

Go to www.cardume.com where you can see some more info and register to make a download.

Best Regards,

Fernando (morgan_at_cardume.com)
CardumeSoftware