Re: SYSTEM Password

From: mlarson <mdlarson_at_brain.uccs.edu>
Date: 1997/04/02

I hope you have a user that has "ALTER ANY USER" priviledges. If so, simply issue "alter user system identified by newpassword" and the same for SYS. Reinstalling the software won't help a bit, the data will still be impossible to get. If you need to preserve the current passwords, but need to temporarily use these accounts, you can record the current encrypted password from the dba_users view, change the password using "ALTER USER...", then update the password row with the old encrypted password when you are done.

You may have to export all the data (or as much as you can get) and import into a new instance.

Douglas Y. Sur wrote:

  Is there any way to derive the password for SYSTEM or SYS without   knowing their passwords? The only way I can think of is   reinstalling
  the damn software.

          The RDBMS is running on a HP-UX 10.x operating system.   --