Re: Performance on NT: Oracle vs. SQLServer?

From: Gene Petryk <gene.petryk_at_estimadata.se>
Date: 1997/04/01

On 28 Mar 1997 14:28:17 GMT, "Tim Schwallie" <schwatw_at_hpd.abbott.com> wrote:

>> We're trying to decide between Oracle and SQL server, for a DSS database
 with
>> about 200 Meg of data now, but much larger soon (eg 1 Gig). We've got a
 dual
>> processor with 128 Meg (but could increase this), running NT 4.0.
>>
>> I've heard that Oracle doesn't run as fast on NT, as on UNIX. Have any of
 you
>> had experience with either/both, or know of performance benchmarks of
 Oracle
>> vs. NT??

We have been using Oracle for our DSS style application, but its update/insert (data aggregation) performance for larger tables is pathetic. (And it's not a question of memory or disk load) We are looking at SQL Server right now, it's _way_ faster for these operations but it has its problems also.

You can see for yourself:
create a simple table
create table test (fldchar char(30), fldint integer)

then insert a row into that table, and run  insert into test select * from test
a couple of times.
I created 16K records, then run a simple update query, say: update test set fldint = 30

Oracle v.7.1: 1min 30sec., v.7.3: 45sec. SQL Server: 3sec. Received on Tue Apr 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST