Re: export to ascii file

From: Guenter Radakovits <guenter.radakovits_at_sea.ericsson.se>
Date: 1997/04/01

Raul Sanchez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how or where I might find information on how
> to export a table to an ascii file in ORACLE (for example, in SYBASE
> I would use the following:
>
> bcp databaseName..tableName out dataFile -c .....
>
> In order words, what is the equivalent to this statement above
> in ORACLE. Thanx for you kind help in advance.
>
> --Raul

hi,

the spool statements are OK but the "LINESIZE" option must be as long as the sum of the length of the columns of the table or the sum of the length of the columns you want to spool out

otherways you would get "n" lines instead of one per record

another option is you can concatenate the columns separated by a character of your choice the benefit is you save space on the filesystem -
here you also must take care of the LINESIZE option

for example

select * from dept;

   DEPTNO DNAME LOC

        10 ACCOUNTING NEW YORK

select deptno||';'||dname||';'||loc||';' from dept;

10;ACCOUNTING;NEW YORK;

try this ways and compare the sizes of the two outputfiles

good luck

         guenter Received on Tue Apr 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST