Re: Urgent problem with datafile in need of recovery

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/03/31

SVRMGR> alter tablespace tools online;
alter tablespace tools online
*
ORA-01113: file 3 needs media recovery
ORA-01110: data file 3: '/export/share/disk4/oracle/ldbc/tools01.dbf' <<<

Did you verify the data file names in sys.dba_data_files to be sure the rename worked for all five files? Did you copy all five OS files after taking the tablespace offline and before going on-line.

If so, then I think the place to start is with altering the tablespace offline again and redoing the copy. I would check the status the two files that seemed to work
in v$datafile to be sure they are good. I would also verify that these are normal UNIX files and not raw partitions behind links. If they are raw partitions you need to use dd to copy them instead of cp.

I realize that these are not great suggestions, but sometimes it is wise to ask stupid questions and go on from there.

If this does not work you might need to call Oracle support and ask about known bugs with this process. This is unlikely, but when you are left with no options but doing a real recovery I would take the time to check.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Mon Mar 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST