Database callbacks.

From: Dan Shechter <shecht_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1997/03/29

Back at where I work, we have a very strong need for callbacks (notices sent to out applications upon insertaion to tables from the server).

Those applications are running om remote systems from the oracle server, which implies that some sort of network connection is required.

What we've come up so far, was to use a trigger upon insertation on the required tables, which will run a stored procedure, that will use the PL/SQL UTL_FILE package which allows to write into operating system files (or named pipes for that matter).

Meanwhile, we have a small daemon, trying to read from those files.

When the daemon succeeds in reading, it parses the data read, and through TCP/IP inform the interested applications.

Although this should work (OK, we haven't really tried it yet...), I was wandering if anybody had ever met the same problem with a better solution.

	Despratly awaiting.
		Dan.