Re: open API to write a gateway?

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/03/28

Fernando Pereira (morgan_at_cardume.com) wrote:
>There is: the Open Gateway Toolkit (the name can be a little changed now).
>You can create your own gateway to connect to Oracle (including support for
>distributed transactions and two phase commit); I was an alpha tester years
>ago - the product works fine, it just gives you an API to plug your code
>in.
>Zhe Li <li_at_news.cs.columbia.edu> wrote in article
><CMM.0.90.2.859267972.li_at_ground.cs.columbia.edu>...
>>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am designing a research project and wondering whether Oracle has some open
>> API (similar to Sybase's open server API) which allows the construction of a
>> gateway. This gateway looks exactly like an Oracle database server at the
>> Oracle CLI level (e.g., clients can connect to this gateway and issue SQL
>> against it without realizing they are talking to a gateway).
>>
>> Thanks for enlightening! Please email your reply to li_at_cs.columbia.edu.

Actually the Transparent Gateway Toolkit is no longer actively marketed by Oracle. Instead, we offer a Transparent Gateway for ODBC that you can link with the ODBC driver of your choice. This is comparable to the Gateway Toolkit since you can write and link in your own ODBC driver if you wish.

With all of Oracle's Gateway products, clients connect indirectly via an Oracle7 server, which provides cross-product SQL join capabilities, transaction coordination, and other useful services. Clients do not connect directly to a gateway.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  IBM Products Division  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.