Question re: ProC and Cursor Cache

From: Ranga Gopalan <Ranga_Gopalan_at_stratus.com>
Date: 1997/03/27

Hi,

According to the ProC manual, a ProC program which has HOLD_CURSOR=YES and RELEASE_CURSOR=NO will not perform a parse for any repeated executions of a SQL statement (e.g simple sql statement like exec sql select f1 into :f1_val from t1 where f2 = :v1). The parsed representation of the statement remains in the Shared SQL cache until it is aged out. If the statement is aged out from the - what happens - does the ProC program get an error or does the ProC program automagically reparse the SQL or ?? The ProC manual (programmers guide to the Oracle ProC precompiler page D-11) says that "Normally this is not a problem, but you might get unexpected results if the definition of a referenced object changes before the SQL statement is reparsed". Can anyone please explain this to me ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Ranga.

Ranga Gopalan                   *** My opinions only, not my employer's ***
Stratus Professional and Technical Services,
Stratus Computer Inc, Marlboro, MA Email: Ranga_Gopalan_at_stratus.com