PUBLIC rollback segments in 7.1.6

From: Lou Avrami <L.Avrami_at_dialogic.com>
Date: 1997/03/27

Hello all,

 Within the 7.1.6 databases that I have inherited, there are rollback segments owned by PUBLIC. We are not running Parallel Server, and according to the manuals it shouldn't make a difference whether the rollback segments were created as "PUBLIC".

 Well, the other day we decided to take these PUBLIC segments offline. Executed the "alter rollback segment SEGNAME offline;" command without any problem and removed the rollback segment entries from the init.ora. A query of dba_rollback_segs showed that the segments were offline.

 Later that day we shutdown and restarted the database. A subsequent check of dba_rollback_segs revealed that all of the PUBLIC segments that had been taken offline were back online!

 So we took them back offline, this time using the syntax "alter public rollback segment SEG_NAME offline;', again they appeared to go offline. We combed through the init.ora and config.ora for any references to these segments. We shutdown the database, and just to be certain, did a "startup pfile=/oracle_admin_path/init.ora", to make sure that we were calling the correct init.ora file. When the database came up, the rollback segments came back online again!

 Our last test was to create a new PUBLIC rollback segment and alter it online. We never entered it into the init.ora. After verifying that it was online, we altered it offline, verified that it was offline, bounced the database and VOILA!, this new segment was online.

 We repeated these tests with our 7.2.3 database. Once the PUBLIC segments were altered offline, they always stayed offline. For some reason, in 7.1.6, PUBLIC rollback segments always come back online when you bounce the database. At least they do in our environment.

 Does anyone out there know why?

 Must I drop and recreate these troublesome segments, or is there a way to alter them "NON-PUBLIC"?

 If anyone has any info or references, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lou Avrami ( avrami_at_dialogic.com )
Dialogic Corporation Received on Thu Mar 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST