Re: Tuxedo?

From: õ¸®¾È NEWS GROUP ÀÌ¿ëÀÚ <HSMMJ_at_chollian.dacom.co.kr>
Date: 1997/03/27

Tarek Hammoud (hammoud_at_ibm.net) wrote:
: Zeqing Xia wrote:

: Hello Everyone,

: My company is considering using some TP monitor system for
: transaction
: processing. In particular we are interested in Tuxedo, Encina, etc..

: I wonder if some one with working experience can kindly provide with

: me some advice/lessons on this issue. Below is a list of questions
: that I put together, without much in-depth knowledge of either
: products:

: 1. What is the development time-to-product/market? How long is the
: training process for developers?

: 2. What is the cost/staffing requirements in administration?

: 3. How complicated or error-proness of either of the APIs? Tricks
: and traps?

: 4. Is there any performance problem with the two-phase commit with a

: RDBMS backend? Can I do 50, 100/sec inserts and updates to two or
: three
: databases at the same time?

: 5. What about the future of the products? CORBA? Is
: Orcle/Sybase/Micrsoft
: doing anything in this area?

: 6. Are the APIs object-oriented or rather low-level buffer/offset
: counting
: stuff? How can I incorporate that into an distributed OO app
: framework?

: 7. How long does it take to have a proof of concept and the decision

: making procedure?

: Again, thanks very much for your help. Your suggestions and advice
: are
: highly, highly appreciated.

: Fred Xia

: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: E*Trade Group, Inc. | #include <std/disclaimer.h>
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: The API is pretty pathetic in a multithreaded environment like NT or
: OS/2. You must provide
: your own locks to their client API's. Non threaded support also means
: that you can only
: realistically create one transaction from the client at a time.You could
: create more but it involves some serious
: programming undertaking. As for the server stuff it completely non
: rentrant and worse not event linked with the
: threaded C runtime libraries. In a nutshell no threaded support
: whatsoever.

: As far as administration and other TP features it is very good. If the
: above is not high on your requirment list, then Tuxedo is a good choice.
: They are supposed to be integrating their stuff with OTS. We'll see.

: Take a look at Encina. It completely solves the above problems. It
: already has OTS support.

: Good luck,
: Tarek Hammoud