Re: RETURNING ROWS FROM A STORED PROCEDURE

From: Ragun Chandra <ragun_at_grfn.org>
Date: 1997/03/26

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, B. Zuydervliet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing an application using VB v4.0 using the Oracle ODBC
> driver.

> I would like to completely partition the front end application from
> the underlying SQL code. I would like to do this using stored
> procedures. This works fine for UPDATES, INSERTS and DELETES.
>
> However I would like to be able to call a stored procedure (perhaps
> with a parameters) which runs a SELECT statement. The result set of
> which I would like returning to a VB data control or recordset
> variable.
>
> Can anyone help? I would greatly appreciate any help/sample code.
>
> TIA Andy Noble.

Hi Andy,
Thta's the main bottleneck in Oracle stored procedure. If Sybase SQL server then it's easy.
Anyway if u having Oracle 7.3 or above version, then there something called stored procedure returning multiple rows in a cursor. I have used this in a stored procedure but have not tested this on any front end. I still don't know whether ODBC driver for VB support this. U can ask Oracle about this. Still u have to remember it's not a true rows returning from stored procedure as it's in SQL server. Hope this helps u

Regards
Ragun

If it is to be, it is up to me

#36, 3962 Sherman street NE,