Adding columns AFTER a column of type LONG

From: Tim Witort <trw_at_medicalert.org>
Date: 1997/03/26

There's a related post to this, but my question is slightly different. I have noticed some odd behavior on tables where there is a column of type LONG as the last column, then an ALTER TABLE is performed to add a column after the LONG-type column. Is this no-no documented anywhere? What is Oracle's problem with this? If the solution is to export the table and import it with the columns back in the right order, I'm prepared to do it if I know it will restore normal behavior to the table.