Re: Oracle on Unix or NT?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/03/25

Tae Ho Yum <tyum_at_Hawaii.Edu> wrote in article <5h2bc3$2of_at_news.Hawaii.Edu>...

> I am considering two different platforms for an Oracle back end.
>
> 1. Multiprocessor Pentium Pro running NT.
> 2. Sun SuperSparc running Solaris 2.5.
>
> The points I am considering are reliability, cost, and speed in that
 order.
> The server will have heavy use so speed is important, but not as much as
> reliability because any downtime will be very expensive.

Both will do the job. Downtime is minimal if a system is properly administrated and maintained.

NT is easier to administer than UNIX. But then NT is less scalable than UNIX. It's going to be cheaper to go for NT (administration costs are lower, learning curve is less), but it may be expensive in the long run if you find that you have outgrown NT and you need a large SMP platform.

IMO it boils down to the business requirements, and the expected growth, of the system. As usual IT needs to find a balance between business requirements and expectations, and costs and skills. :-)

--
regards,
Billy