Re: Help: Database Links

From: Heggelund <d92hegge_at_ix_prod.hfk.mil.no>
Date: 1997/03/24

Hi,
in Unix environments database links does not work in Oracle 7.3.2.2. The workaround for this release in Unix is to install the Spatial Option wich includes the correct library. I don't know if this is the case on NT hovever. Upgrading to 7.3.2.3 is highly recommended if possible.

Rgds
Steinar Heggelund

Rob & Wendy Carpenter (chaochou_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I have been attempting to get dataabse links to work for some time. I am
: using v. 7.3.2.2.0 for NT and have two workstations called Grumpy &
: Computer1. The distributed option is in place [at least as shown by
: SVRMGR23 and SQL*Plus].

: The network between them is using Named Pipes as a protocol and the
: *.ora files were constructed with Net Manager. The basics are:

: Computer1 Grumpy
: --------------- --------------
: Host Computer1 Grumpy
: Global_Name III.World Oracle.World
: db_name III ORACLE
: SID III ORCL
: TNSNAMES III Grumpy
: Community NMP.World NMP.WORLD
: Listener Listener Listener

: Aliases were created and there is an alias in the TNSNAMES file on
: Computer1 entitled Grumpy. The working of the basic network is checked
: with the following:

: (1) TNSPING -- OK
: (2) from SQL*Plus ----> connect uid/pwd_at_grumpy -- OK
: All functionality is fine.
: (3) from PowerBuilder with the connection string '@TNS:grumpy'
: which looks to the TNSNAMES file for direction [hence @TNS }
: all works fine.

: A database link is created:

: CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK ___1____
: Connect to UID identified by PWD
: using '__2___'

: with the blanks as Grumpy, GRUMPY.WORLD, ORACLE.WORLD,
: ORACLE.GRUMPY.WORLD, and virtually every other combination I could think
: of, created the dataabse link. Query of dba_db_links showed that. But on
: attempting to execute a query,

: select table_name from tabs_at_grumpy
: [or whatever the name of the link was per try]

: one of two responses is obtained:

: Unable to resolve name
: unable to connect

: Per the documentation [Distributed Databases v. 1] ___1___ is the name
: of the link which must equal the service name [i.e. ___1___ and ___2___
: must be equal]. This was tried in conformity with this rule and without
: conformity with this rule. There appeared to be no difference in the
: result. To be sure that permissions were not the issue, the same
: approach was tried with UID = system/PWD = manager system/manager has
: the create session privilege.

: I would appreciate any advice on how to create the link so that it does
: not fail at query.

: Thank you.

: Rob
: chaochou_at_ix.netcom.com

I'm employed in the Norwegian consulting company Opus One AS.
I have 7 years experience with Oracle products, mainly the database.
We are a small company which offers consulting services in design,
implementation and tuning of databases and applications based on Oracle.