Re: Tuxedo?

From: Dan <dane_at_ica.net>
Date: 1997/03/22

In article <5gt8r7$5o1_at_siesta.cs.wustl.edu>,

        zqx_at_siesta.cs.wustl.edu (Zeqing Xia) writes:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>My company is considering using some TP monitor system for transaction
>processing. In particular we are interested in Tuxedo, Encina, etc..
>I wonder if some one with working experience can kindly provide with
>me some advice/lessons on this issue. Below is a list of questions
>that I put together, without much in-depth knowledge of either products:

Next answers reffer to Encina/Oracle/AIX (this is what I am familiar with).

>1. What is the development time-to-product/market? How long is the
> training process for developers?

It all depends on their skills and what you want to do . (Would you be happier if I would say 6 months ? :)

>2. What is the cost/staffing requirements in administration?

The classical 1dba/1sysadmin/1appowner. Depending on app and people size some functionality can be cumulated on fewer persons.

>3. How complicated or error-proness of either of the APIs? Tricks and traps?

O(N^2) where N = nr of people developing simultaneously by using the API set.

Beware of ss_* functions :)

>4. Is there any performance problem with the two-phase commit with a
> RDBMS backend? Can I do 50, 100/sec inserts and updates to two or three
> databases at the same time?

Yes, you can. Depending of the SQL complexity, it can generate troubles though. As the hardware becomes cheaper this is not a big issue anymore.

>5. What about the future of the products? CORBA? Is Orcle/Sybase/Micrsoft
> doing anything in this area?

BIG future; everybody is heading there.

>6. Are the APIs object-oriented or rather low-level buffer/offset counting
> stuff? How can I incorporate that into an distributed OO app framework?

Programming by contract is rasonable easy to integrate into oo frameworks. Some authors recommend it as a better way of designing oo ("...design for interface, not implementation..." - The gang of four).

>7. How long does it take to have a proof of concept and the decision
> making procedure?

(Plug alert :)
Not very long if you use the right consultant ...

>Again, thanks very much for your help. Your suggestions and advice are
>highly, highly appreciated.
>

>Fred Xia

You are wellcome, Fred. You can e-mail me if you need further details.

Dan

Dan Enache
dane_at_ica.net