Re: Copying a Database

From: tvaresh <tvaresh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/03/21

Alltech <alltech_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote in article <332F3F38.295A_at_singnet.com.sg>...
> tvaresh wrote:
> >
> > KWIATKOWSKI LARRY <KWIATKOWSKIL_at_SICDES.DNET.ETN.COM> wrote in article
> > <3316F914.44D1_at_SICDES.DNET.ETN.COM>...
> > > I want to rename a database and instance from EDUC to DEVL. Is this
 the
> > > correct procedure:
> > >
> > > 1. start the database in mount mode
> > > 2. rename the datafiles "/id01/EDUC/control01" "/id01/DEVL/control01"
> > > (rename all datafiles to the new DEVl name)
> > > 3. stop the instance.
> > > 4. change oratab from EDUC to DEVL.
> > > 4. copy the ofa compliant directories EDUC to DEVL.
> > > 5. edit the init.ora files to reflect the new controlfilenames.
> > > 6. start the new instance.
> > >

> > > any input will be appreciated
> > >
> > What I've done in the past to rename a database is this:
> >
> > svrmgrl
> > connect internal
> > alter database backup controlfile to trace
> > exit to command line
> > cd to the trace directory and list the latest trace file there. It
> > should contain a "script" for recreating the control files. You can
 modify
> > that script to change the path of the datafile as well as the database
 name
> > (using the "set" parameter on the create controlfile line). Shutdown
 your
> > database, reconfigure it (i.e. move the datafiles, etc.), then start
 the
> > modified trace file from svrmgrl. That will rename the database. A
 word
> > of caution - you'll have to open with resetlogs, so before and after
> > backups are HIGHLY advised. Please feel free to email me if you have
 any
> > other questions - you can use my professional address -
 smiller_at_gers.com.
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Steve
>
> More questions :
> 1) Can u rename those datafiles?
> 2) How do you open with resetlogs?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> John

John,

  I'm not sure as I've never done that - I've only relocated the datafiles, so all I've ever done is adjust the path to them. Something for me to try, I guess! To open a database with resetlogs:

   alter database open resetlogs:

That'll do it - I'll try that renaming of a datafile soon. (My instinct says you can't - that information is located in the data dictionary and I don't think renaming the datafile in a controlfile creation will update that - could be wrong!) How 'bout it gurus, what do you think!!

Steve Received on Fri Mar 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST