Re: Recommended datafile sizes.

From: L120bj <l120bj_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/03/20

Personally I would favour the multiple smaller files for 2 reasons. i) It allows you to spread the tablespace across a number of devices. ii) If you have to recover the tablespace, the chances are that you will only have to recover one of the smaller files, rather than having to recover the full tablespace.

Another factor is physical file size limit. I work on Sun Solaris 2.5 and, like many other Unix flavours, the maximum size for a given file is 2Gb.

Hope this helps
Rob

Subject: Recommended datafile sizes.
From: Tim.Middleton_at_health.wa.gov.au
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 02:51:12 -0600

Hi guys & gals,

I am looking for some comments on the following scenario.

I have a tablespace which is large (about 8Gb). When creating the datafiles for this tablespace, Is is better to have, say. 2 x 4Gb datafiles or should i have 16x500Mb datafiles.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each approach.

Thanks very much.

Tim Middleton

PS. Please email me.
PPS. Also where can i find the FAQ's for this newsgroup. Tar.

Tim.Middleton_at_health.wa.gov.au.
DMR Consulting Group Australia
+619 222 4116