Re: Recommended datafile sizes.

From: Anton Dischner <dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: 1997/03/20

Hi Tim,

i'd use 2GB files for several reasons (for me).

The max-file-size on most Unix-platforms is 2GB. I am not shure but i think the max file-size from the Oracle-side is 2GB too.

You can spread 2GB files across several disks.

If you use many small datafiles keep in mind that you biggest extent will be the size of the datafile.
for example:
Maybe you want: create index ... (storage initial 1GB next 100M); this would fail if you have 500 MB datafiles. Not too painful because you can use create index ... (storage initial 500M next 500M); Alter index ... (storage next 100M);

Whatch out for your backup-medium, is it a 2,3 GB exabyte?

Just my 2 cents,

Toni

In article <858760892.13615_at_dejanews.com>, TIm.Middleton_at_health.wa.goc.au wrote:

> Hi guys & gals,
>
> I am looking for some comments on the following scenario.
>
> I have a tablespace which is large (about 8Gb). When creating the
> datafiles for this tablespace, Is is better to have, say. 2 x 4Gb
> datafiles or should i have 16x500Mb datafiles.
>
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of each approach.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Tim Middleton
>
> PS. Please email me.
> PPS. Also where can i find the FAQ's for this newsgroup. Tar.
>
> Tim.Middleton_at_health.wa.gov.au.
> DMR Consulting Group Australia
> +619 222 4116

A. Dischner, SGI&AIX sysadmin, Oracle DBA       | Don't let friends
Institut fuer Klinische Chemie                  | use WinDose
Klinikum Grosshadern                            | Just say NO.
Ludwig Maximilians Universitaet Muenchen,  GER  |
Marchioninistr.15 81366 Muenchen 49-89-70953202 |