Wierd tablespace quota behavior

From: Medic Alert <news_at_medicalert.org>
Date: 1997/03/20

I've got 7.2.3 running on an HP-UX 10.01 box. During the creation of all of the tablespaces, tables, users, indexes, etc. At no time were quotas specified, yet there are quotas in the sys.dba_ts_quotas table for the primary user on nearly every tablespace and they are all UNLIMITED quotas.

So the questions are:

  1. How did these quotas get established? Was it a side-effect of granting the user a priviledge?
  2. There are two tablespaces with no quotas indicated, yet the primary user was able to create indexes in these tablespaces, however, when the indexes went to extend Oracle generated a 1536 "quota exceeded" error. How can a user create an index without a quota, yet the index they created cannot extend without a quota!? Is there special quota behavior for the initial vs. subsequent extents?
  3. In all my other 7.2.x databases on various platforms, I've never specified quotas and no quotas were created automatically (sys.dba_ts_quotas is empty), yet there is no problem creating tables, indexes, or extending them. Is this a side effect of particular roles?

So why am I not asking Oracle all this? I have been trying for some time now, but they haven't given me an answer yet. Hopefully it will bubble up to someone who knows something about this.

thanks,
-- TRW Received on Thu Mar 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST