Oracle LOCKS - looking for more info

From: Zoran <zoranm_at_echo-on.net>
Date: 1997/03/20

Hi all,

I see the V$ tables like V$LOCK and V$LOCKED_OBJECT but am trying to make sense of what they are telling me.

Where can I learn more about locks in Oracle 7.3?

Specifically, what rows are locked by whom and who is being blocked. I've looked up these table descriptions in the SQL Server Reference manual, but am still unclear on what all that info is implying.

I have an application that every now and then grinds to a halt. I have a peek at the V$LOCK and V$LOCKED_OBJECT and see some locks that are not going away. But I don't know if there's a deadlock (I'm SURE Oracle will detect a deadlock and rollback *An* offender) or not. I'm not convinced there is a DB deadlock, but knowing more about locking in Oracle would be of great help.

Thanks, Zoran. Received on Thu Mar 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST