Re: Does ORACLE has any stupid restrictions like MS-SQL

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/03/20

> Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >For instance, changing a column from, say, NULL to NOT NULL is OK, but
> >going the other way - well, you'd have to empty the table first.
>
> Why on earth would Oracle, or any database for that matter, impose
> such a restriction? As it happens, Oracle does not.

As it happens, Oracle did force this at one stage, before the 'modify' syntax was available and NULLability was implemented as a constraint. I don't think the poster gave his/her Oracle release, but as you say, you can use modify in current release - hence me requesting the original poster to refer to the Oracle ALTER command in their documentation for a complete list of what, and what not, could be done to the tables on their release of Oracle.

Steve Phelan. Received on Thu Mar 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST