Re: Error Connecting To Oracle DB

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1997/03/20

Alltech wrote:

  Hi there,
    Can anybody help me with this problem? I have transferred Oracle   RDBMS
  executables from one Digital machine to another Digital machine   using tar and
  have created a new database on the new machine. However, when I try   to connect
  to that database using another user (whose group is not DBA), I get   the
  following error messages :

  ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available   ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.   DEC OSF/1 (AXP) Error: 13: Permission denied

    However, when I start the listener and specify the connect string   (sqlplus
  system/manager_at_PROD), the connection is successful.

    Is it because of the network configuration or is there something   else that
  need to be done when "tarring" Oracle executables?

  John

It is because you need to change permissions on one file in particular.

% cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
% chmod 6751 oracle

The reason you can connect through the listener is the listener attaches to shared memory as the owner who started the listener, probably the same user that owns the oracle kernel. Received on Thu Mar 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST