Re: ORA-03113 on Oracle for UNIX (Sun Server)

From: Stephen A. Rodgers <trodgers_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/03/20

Vince Martyn wrote:

  Connor McDonald wrote:

> Jason Conrad wrote:
> >
> > We recently deployed an app into a test environment (not
 developed
> > with oracle products) using Oracle 7.3 on a Sun Solaris Server.
 The
> > app runs fine except when we execute a particular Query and get
> > ORA-03113. The manual says that SQLNet isn't configured
 properly.
> > The trace file that this error generates lists an ORA-07445
 message,
> > which according to the manual is an O/S problem.

 <snip>
> > Any suggestions,advice would be grately appreciated.
>
> Try deleting the cost optimiser stats for the table(s)
 concerned...
> We have logged the same bug and this is our current workaround..
> NB: We also occasionally get ORA-600 nasties - once again the
 same
> workaround applies...
>
> Cheers
> --
> Connor McDonald
> Systems Administrator-Unix/Oracle
> BHP Iron Ore
> "You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on"
> - Dean Martin

  Only someone who was drunk would consider this approach to dealing   with
  each and every ORA-600 error.

  ORA-600's are internal exceptions and cannot be worked around in a   blanket fashion, other than calling support for each occurence.

  It's like putting a gag on a screaming child, he may only want a   drink,
  or he may have just cut his foot off! The scream does not give any   indication of the issue.

  ORA-600 is Oracle's scream, gag it at your peril.

  Vince Martyn
  Oracle Worldwide Support

  These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of the Oracle   Corp.

 I believe that Conner McDonald was only referring to the ORA-0600's that he gets as a result
of this cost optimizer statistics bug, not all ORA-600 errors.

Regards,
Stephen A. Rodgers
Prominence Consulting, Inc. Received on Thu Mar 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST