SID Naming Conventions?

From: Craig J. Fischer <fischercj_at_bv.com>
Date: 1997/03/19

What are some conventions for naming SIDs? I'm a DBA for a couple different Oracle installations, and whatever conventions have been used in the past (by me and by others) are becoming useless.

Some specific questions I have are:
1) Is there any reason to stick to 4-character SID names for databases that won't end up on anything less than Unix or NT platforms?

2) How best to differentiate between different applications?

3) How best to differentiate between different environments (Production, Test, Development, etc.)?

Any examples would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Craig Fischer
fischercj_at_bv.com Received on Wed Mar 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST