Re: Does ORACLE has any stupid restrictions like MS-SQL

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/03/19

NNOOR wrote:

> We are getting increasingly frustrated with the restrictions in the
> MS SQL Server, especially when it comes to modifying the columns of
> a table. It does not let you drop a column, change data type or
> add/remove NULL restrictions. As a result, we are considering
> moving off the SQL Server as we are so early on in the development
> stage that we can afford it.
>
> We are wondering if there any such restrictions/gotchas in the
> Oracle that we have to be aware of We will appreciate any help
> on this issue.
>
> Thanks very much!!!
>
> Regards,
> Nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com)

Well, Oracle will let you use the 'rename' command to change the names of database objects, and you can increase the size of columns if you wish. But as regards changing a columns data type, reducing it's size, or dropping the column, you're still going to have to do some work.

For instance, changing a column from, say, NULL to NOT NULL is OK, but going the other way - well, you'd have to empty the table first. This isn't really a restriction in Oracle - or any db for that matter - the product is just trying to stop you from messing up referential integrity of your database. This stands for all the possible changes you could make to a table.

Have a look at the Oracle 'ALTER' commands in the SQL Reference guide for details of what you can and cannot change, and what restrictions are enforced.

Steve Phelan. Received on Wed Mar 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST