Re: Database Link HELP

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/03/17

mickg71_at_aol.com (Mickg71) wrote:
[...]
>Why can't I use the following database link
> CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK III.WORLD
> CONNECT TO SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY MANAGER
> USING 'III.WORLD';
>The link gets created, but when I exercise it with
> SELECT table_name from tabs_at_III.WORLD;
>The system responds with an UNABLE to CONNECT message.

Oracle is trying to look up 'III.WORLD' (from your USING clause) as a TNS service name (in tnsnames.ora) for the target database. This probably isn't a valid service name. Either specify a valid service name for USING, or try something like

  CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK III.WORLD_at_III.WORLD   CONNECT TO SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY MANAGER; if you are using global names. Note that "III.WORLD" must match the db_name and db_domain of the target database.

/b

--
Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not