Re: Use perl<->oracle on NCSA or use PL/SQL on Oracle webserver?

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1997/03/17

In article <5ghmp2$5r0_at_tholian.cse.psu.edu>, John D Groenveld <groenvel_at_tholian.cse.psu.edu> wrote:
>In article <5gdogf$pai$1_at_news.hkol.com>, Pao Wan <paowan_at_drdun.com> wrote:
>>I can use perl to connect Oracle server on NCSA, and I can use PL/SQL to
>>create web application on Oracle webserver. Which will be fast? Which will be
>>flexible?
>
>If you want flexibility, then you should compare Oracle WebServer3.0 and
>Apache/modperl--both in final beta.
>John
>groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu

Also the new(ish) Apache::DBI module for persistent connections. see clpm for announcement.

Remember that the Apache model (multiple processes) means that record locking will not be effective.

Another option for select update cycles with strict locks is the CGI::Miniserver, which should work with most web servers that perl will operate with under standard CGI.

Jacqui

--
Jacqui Caren, Software Systems, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
AD: Need flexible, high quality reporting? - www.perl.co.uk/ig/dp.html