Re: Oracle for Linux

From: Kenneth Lee <Kenneth_Lee_at_ml.com>
Date: 1997/03/17

On 16 Mar 1997 20:40:19 GMT, jekholm_at_news.abo.fi (Jan Ekholm INF) wrote:

>Rich Headrick (rheadric_at_macromedia.com) wrote:
>: Ok fine, you not poor, but how intelligent of a business decision could
>: this be? I'd never pick linux as the platform for my business apps.
>: Are you a student or something?
>
>Without starting a war or something I'd like to say that I'd like MY
>business applications to run on a Linux. If the alternative is somw
>version of Windows, it will most likely crash in the middle of some
>important database updates, insertions... I think Linux would be a very
>good platform to run an Oracle server on. It's cheap, runs well (better
>than most Unices and better than all MS-whatever products). All databases
>aren't huge, and those smaller ones would perform really well on a Linux
>box, but unfortunately they are too often run on NT boxes, which is
>begging for trouble.

But if you were running a business why wouldn't you go with a more tried and tested Sun or HP? Of course, this may be different if the scale of the business is small, but for most corporate business needs, an Intel-based server just doesn't pack the necessary punch. Received on Mon Mar 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST