Re: Oracle on Solaris x86

From: Kevin Higgins <last.ronin_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/03/14

>: We are in need of a Unix server which can run an Oracle database. In
>: general we are NT based, but since products are usually released
>: earlier on Solaris than NT, a machine running Unix is necessary.
>:
>: Is this release thing also true for Solaris x86 and in particular for
>: Oracle products on this platform? Is there anybody who are running
>: Oracle on Solaris x86? Is a Pentium 200 MHx with 96 MB memory
>: sufficient (we're not going to have many users, the use is for
>: development)?

We're just about to begin fielding Solaris x86 servers with Oracle 7.2.3. As these servers are going into stores, the local networks will be somewhat small (4-6 workstations), and we were actually getting acceptable performance from Pentium 75/90s. We've decided on PPro 180/200s instead, and the difference is exciting. <g> We were going to go with 48 megs or RAM, but have upped that to 64, since RAM has gotten so cheap. <g>

Oracle is very stable on x86.

FTR, we're also using Solaris NWServer to connect IPX to Win31/Win95 workstations, which will run the store app locally and attach to the database on the server. Communications between the stores' Oracle databases and the Corp. Support Center will be by dial-up PPP. Received on Fri Mar 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CST