database security

From: Andrew M. Balshem <AM_Balshem_at_fccc.edu>
Date: 1997/03/11

I am new to using ODBC drivers (on my pc) in order to access Oracle tables (on a unix platform) and am wondering how I grant privileges to a pc (and not to a unix user). For example, I've a database on a DEC alpha which I'd like a user to be able to access using MS Access (on his pc) but I would like the user's access to be restricted to read-only (select only). Instead of setting up a second unix account (for which select privilege is granted) and then having the pc user connect to this secondary account, I would like to restrict access to the unix database at the pc level.

Possible? Received on Tue Mar 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CST