Re: hot backups

From: jared still <jared_at_psnw.com>
Date: 1997/03/10

Hari Duthaluru <hari_at_leis.bellcore.com> wrote:

>When a tablespace is set in 'begin backup' mode and if someone is
>trying to update one of the tables in this tablespace, where would
>the change information get stored? (log files??, system tablespace??)
>
>Fast response would be greatly appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>hari

The information continues to be written to the redo logs. While in backup mode, the entire block is written to the redo log rather than just the changed row.

If the same block is written again, a delta of the block is taken.

The changes are still written to the tablespace.

At least, this is the way it was explained to me.

Jared Still
ValueRx/RxNet
Oracle DBA - DG/UX Sysadmin - Part Time Perl Evangelist ;) jared_at_psnw.com
stillj_at_valuerx.com Received on Mon Mar 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST