Re: Disabling Redo Logs

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/03/10

amit srivastava wrote:

> Vikram Goel wrote:
> >
> > Ugo Ribecai<sysdata.pisa_at_iol.it> (Ugo Ribecai) wrote:
> >
> > >It's possible ???
> > >
> > >Thanks
> >
> > Ugo,
> >
> > This is not possible. Redologs are a requirement of Oracle.
> >
> > --
> >
> > ---
> > Vikram Goel vgoel_at_emi.net (H)
> > Sr. Oracle DBA vgoel_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us (O).
> > & Oracle Performance Analyst. Consultant
> > vgoel_at_emi.net
> >
> > **Life is short have to run,run,eun. **
>
> No you can disable redo logs! Such that they run all the time.
> Check your init.ora scripts. We have one db here that does not
> build any redo logs.

I think you are getting confused between the 'archive' and 'online' redo logs. Yes, you can run without generating 'archive' logs, in which case Oracle will cycle round the groups of online redo logs. This does however limit your recovery options...

Steve Phelan. Received on Mon Mar 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST