Re: Changing character set

From: Igor Rybalov <irybalov_at_commed.ru>
Date: 1997/03/10

nmurray_at_admin1.tcd.ie wrote in article <1997Mar5.181312_at_admin1.tcd.ie>...

> We are planning to change the character set on our databases from
> US7ASCII to WE8ISO8859P1 to allow us to store French,German,etc.
> language characters. We don't actually need to change the language.
> Has anybody done anything like this and if so do you have any advice
> to offer.

To change the character set in Oracle7 RDBMS do:

  1. Check availability character set which you need in v$nls_valid_values: select value from v$nls_valid_values where parameter = upper('characterset');
  2. Update table sys.props$: update sys.props$ set value$ = upper('your_characterset') where name = upper('nls_characterset');
  3. Check correctness of your update and do commit.
  4. Shutdown and startup instance

Warnings:
1. That method works good if your database is empty or use only 7-bit characters
2. If you did mistake during 2th step, startup of instance will fail.

> 7.1.3, 7.1.6 and 7.2

I'm succesfully use that method with Oracle7 7.1.x, 7.2.x, 7.3.x

Regards,

Igor Rybalov Received on Mon Mar 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST