ORACLE OR INFORMIX?

From: Luis Nina <luisnina_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: 1997/03/09

ORACLE or INFORMIX ?

Brief History

I belong to a firm that represents an association of Cash & Carry, dispersed all over the country. They all have Information Systems and some DBMS, but they aren't aligned with each other. My work in the central is to create a Master Database Alignment System, which is going to improve de global information and the opportunity to centralize another operations like payment, and logistics. The Database will consist on information of logistics of goods and prices, we could also provide image of the goods and concurrence prices. We have plans to transfer all information with EDI and to have a Web Site giving Information about exclusive brands (ours) and promotions, etc. Each of my associates may subscribe the information relevant to him, giving back some local information, like (Demand on a SKU, Size of the Store, evaluation of suppliers, Sales, Forecasts, Etc). Then he needs to integrate this piece of information coming from the central in his information system.
 Having this kind of information in the central I have the chance to build a Data Warehouse, giving power to the negotiators and to the general manager on decisions.
The system will consist on a high-performance x.86 platform with a NT Operating System for the central, and windows 95 machines has satellites of this system in each of my Associates. The network platform is ISDN.

I' m writing to you hoping that you could give me some help on choosing the perfect DBMS to my project. What should be my concerns? What are the relevant issues in remote access? Where can I find comparison summaries of the key players in DBMS market.
I have little knowledge about DBMS and I can't decide about the significance of some features. (E.g. is more important to have RPC like Oracle or more options on locking level like Informix?

Sincerely hoping that you could give me some help Please answer to my E-Mail (luisnina_at_mail,telepac.pt)

Best regards

Luís Nina (luisnina_at_mail.telepac.pt) Received on Sun Mar 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CST