problems connecting with SQLNet 2 and Oracle on Netware + win95 clients

From: Jakob Gaardsted <pilgrim_at_daimi.aau.dk>
Date: 1997/03/08

We have a problem with the above, that is driving us nuts.

Our client machines are running windows 95. Our servers are running Netware 4.10, with Oracle 7.2 and 7.3.   We have no problems with SQL Net 1.0, which we have been running for years.
  But using/trying to use SQL Net 2 gives us all kinds of problems. On some machines it works, on others it doesn't. Fiddling with various 1.2.3.4.5.6, 1.5.4.3.2.1
(the numbers are fake, but you get the idea) versions of
client stuff modifies behaviour, but does not eliminate the problems.

We achieve about 4 different variations of installation:

  1. Both SQLNet 1 and 2 works.
  2. SQLNet1 works, and SQLNet 2 does not. The error when trying to connect is "ORA-12536 operation would block".
  3. Both SQLNet 1 and 2 works, but connecting with SQLNet2 takes about 90 seconds (sometimes 60, somtimes 73, no fixed number) for no apparent reason.
  4. Nothing works, and lots of things crashes.

By perfecting our technique, we have become very good at achieving 2) (please excuse sarcasm).

Does anybody have any hint to what is going on ? We have been fiddling with our 32bit Novell win95 client software too (downloading new versions and patches from Novell, e.g. version 2.11). All of this seems to affect the problem somehow, making it work for some but apparently not for long, or without causing other problems.

  We should probably contact Oracle about this. I hesitate about doing this, since we don't know whether it is a Novell/Netware problem or an Oracle problem. Therefore, I expect it won't help talking to them. A quick look through the SupportNotes (either I don't know how to search through them, or Oracle's search engine sucks) didn't reveal anything.

(Please tell me otherwise).

PS: Our product is a large 16bit windows app running under windows 3.1(1) and win95. For technical reasons we have not made it 32 bit, and probably can't.

PPS: Frankly, we have had tons of problems with SQLNet and such stuff since day 1. We've never really bothered telling Oracle about them, since we assumed they knew about them. Usually, we've "solved" them by shuffling versions or waiting for patches to come out. But I'm not really happy about it. We've wasted tons of time figuring these things out. And the things we have to go by are either "ORA-3121 - interface driver not connected" or GPF's. Considering that we DON'T manually fiddle with the configuration files, but use the supplied installation programs (Oracle installer), it buggers me to experience so many gotchas.

   Are we the only ones that experience it this way ? Considering the kind of customers we have, what they pay us and what we do for them, we can't be that stupid.

PPPS: But apart from that, I love Oracle. The database itself is great.

PPPPS: Our most current problem is, by the way, "ORA-12536".

(sorry for posting in this group, but apparently I am
not allowed to post in comp.databases.oracle.misc)

--
Goddag mit navn er Gert Bo og jeg er en potens af 2.