Re: Help: Setting ODBC for Oracle

From: Randy A. Stebbins <Randys_at_triax.com>
Date: 1997/03/08

Shrenik Tolia (grad) wrote:

> Hi,
> I desperateely need help on this problem.I have 2 machines,one
> running NT server 3.51 and the other running NT workstation.Oracle7 is
> installed on the NT workstation.I am trying to setup odbc on the NT server
> to connect to the machine running oracle.
> I downloaded the visigenic 32bit odbc driver for oracle 7 and
> installed it on the client machine.In the driver setup, i gave the DSN
> name the username.The SQL *NET string was given in this particular formnat
> t:servername.
> NOTE : there was no information given regarding the path to the dirctory
> in which oracle was installed on the server.
> I then used a 32bit cpp sample to connect to the database.The
> connection string attributes were given in the followin order,
> DSN,SERVER,UID,PWD. It gave me a general error S1000 & pfNativeError 3121.
> I've been trying this since a long time but haven't found a solution for
> it.
> If u have even the slightest idea of what's wrong or any tips that u
> think would help me please reply.
> Thanks a lot
>
> email : ashah_at_cc.memphis.edu

Are you using SQL*Net 2.0 on your client? If so, are your SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA file up-to-date? Your TNSNAMES.ORA file is the one that will translate the the SERVER into an IP address, port, and SID to tell SQL*NET where on the NT server to find the database. Received on Sat Mar 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST