Potential newbie - do we need a DBA

From: richard ranieri <rranieri_at_mail.infoave.net>
Date: 1997/03/08

We are evaluating software which will require our shop for the first time to use a relational database. Currently in the running are Oracle and MS SQL server. We will probably use NT 4.0 on dual or quad pentium pro's. I have two questions.

  1. Is the NT/Oracle combination stable enough to run mission critical applications?
  2. Will we need a Data Base Administrator (with lots of experience) or can we train an in-house programmer as our DBA?

Any help would be appreciated as this is our first venture into client server and relational databases (we currently run a propritary DB on Unix boxes).

Richard Ranieri
MIS, Sequa Chemicals
(803) 385-5181
rranieri_at_mail.infoave.net Received on Sat Mar 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CST